While being fit and healthy should be a year-round goal, the warmer weather helps kick-start workout-mojo into high gear and has many people watching what they eat (viva la springtime!). For that extra boost to get summer-body ready, I tell my clients to focus on a few specific superfoods.
Superfoods are nicknamed such because of the nutrient punch they pack! A superfood is traditionally low in calorie and high in a variety of antioxidants (preventing aging and damage to our cells), vitamins and minerals, as well as varying amounts of fiber, healthy fats and protein. These uber-nutrient-dense superfoods help fight against chronic illnesses like type 2 diabetes, heart disease, certain cancers, as well as promote strong muscles and bones keeping you lean, and helping maintain a healthy weight.
A superfood doesn’t have to be some hard-to-find exotic food either. Here’s a little cheat sheet: any fruit or vegetable that is rich in color is most likely a superfood!
My top 6 superfood recommendations to get summer-ready are:
- Quinoa: It is high in protein, fiber, B vitamins, antioxidants, and minerals like manganese and zinc, making quinoa the supergrain of superfoods!
- Kale: High in antioxidants, vitamins A, K, C, E, all the B’s, fiber, calcium, iron….you name it these green leaves have it, making them the superhero of superfoods!
- Blueberries: This blue fruit is packed with phytonutrients (a type of antioxidant), vitamins K & C, and fiber. Because of its super high amount of antioxidants, the blueberry is the original superfood.
- Almonds: This crunchy superfood is high in omega-3 fatty acids and a variety of minerals. Almonds will help keep you full between meals and keep heart disease, diabetes and inflammation at bay.
- Chia Seeds: Being a good source of protein, fiber, omega-3’s, and minerals like phosphorous and manganese make this super seed a go-to superfood.
- Green Tea: Green Tea is not only full of antioxidants, but it can help prevent bloating when you’re headed into bathing suit season!
Incorporating these superfoods into your diet on a daily basis will help keep you feeling great, looking even better and 100% Summer Ready! The healthy fats and fiber will keep you feeling full between meals, the protein and minerals will promote muscle repair and strength, and all those antioxidants and vitamins will keep your skin refreshed in the summer sun.
Plus, enjoying these superfoods has never been easier. Many of your favorite Smoothie King smoothies already include one or more of these nutritious foods, and now you can also add Almond Milk or a Super Grain Enhancer! Which superfood-blended Smoothie is your go-to?